6 Reasons Why a Low Carb Diet is Better Than Low Fat
Our bodies need something to create the energy to maintain our bodily functions and brain health. For many years the health organizations all over the world have been advocating a diet with higher carbs and protein as being best for the production of this energy. Fat has been frowned upon. Unfortunately, carbohydrates and not fats are the reason so many people are overweight. This causes major health problems.
Some of the reasons why a low carb diet is better for you than a low fat diet –
1. Weight Loss
▪ Increased weight loss, faster!
▪ Low carb dieting gives 3 times better weight loss than the low fat (low calories) way of dieting.
▪ Ketosis (due to low carb eating occurs due to less glucose in the body) causes you to lose stored and consumed fat, so that you retain more lean mass.
▪Carb restricted dieters can eat until they feel full. With low fat diets, you have to count calories and control portions. Low-carb diets lead to automatic weight loss without the irritating need to control portions as with the low fat diet.
2. Diabetes Type II
▪ Blood sugar and insulin levels are reduced and controlled.
▪ In many cases, patients have been able to stop their medication altogether on the low carb diet.
▪ Low-carb diets Increase good HDL Cholesterol – this is good for preventing heart disease. HDL transports cholesterol away from the peripherals of the body to the liver for excretion.
▪ Low-carbohydrate diets raise HDL levels – much better for you than the low-fat diet which can decrease HDL.
3. Low Carb Diets Easier to maintain than Low-fat Diets
The reason people slot more easily into a low-carb diet is that it doesn’t require calorie-counting or starving. People much prefer eating as much as they want than eating a calorie-restricted, low-fat diet. A reduced-carb approach to eating is much easier than getting used to a low-fat alternative. Try eating some low carb recipes from websites like http://www.tasteaholics.com/recipes/low-carb-recipes/ and http://ketogasm.com
4. Low Diet suits Kids Too
We’re witnessing a sharp increase in obese kids. Studies have been done on adolescents where one group was put on a low-fat, low-calorie diet. The other group was put on a diet that limited their carbohydrate intake. The low-carb group lost an average of 29lbs compared to 16lbs of the low-fat group. It was found that the low-carb group also had a significant drop in triglyceride levels. Obesity in youth isn’t about getting away from computers, exercising more and eating less – its about creating the optimal balance in nutrition.
5. Energy Levels
▪ If you are eating a low carb diet ( with higher fat), and perhaps go for longer periods of time without eating, you will not feel sluggish or without energy at all.
▪ Your energy will come from the stored fat, which is good news for your overall health and weight. A low fat diet can result in vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Fat is needed for some vitamins to be absorbed.
6. Low-Carb diets and Glycemic Control
Less carbs equals less glucose for diabetics. This results in lower blood sugar levels and less need for insulin. Low-carb diets can cure type II diabetes. In fact a low-carb diet can in many instances be a cure for some of the most serious diseases in the world. Without a reduction in calories, the low-fat diet doesn’t have any benefits, and the weight loss on a low-fat plan is largely due to a reduction in muscle.
Make a Low Carb High Fat Diet your Nutritional Therapy
Low carbs versus low fats cannot be seen as a debate any more. When you see the overall improvements in an individuals health, you know that a low carb, high fat diet is the answer to the problem we face with the declining health of our entire population.
And remember this too. For cancers to grow, they love to get their energy from sugars. Lowering carbohydrates in the diet inhibits cancer growth, heart disease, obesity and diabetes. Food for thought indeed.